Dual Monitor Tools will work with any version of Windows that has Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0 or later installed.
If you do not have a suitable version of .NET installed, then assuming your version of Windows supports it, you can install it from Windows Update. You should be able to find it in the Optional Updates section.
Dual Monitor Tools has been tested and found to work on XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, but not all features will be available with versions of Windows prior to Windows 7.
There are 2 choices for installation:
- Use the msi installer. This is the simplest method and will make installing any future versions even easier.
- Portable install. This involves more work but gives you the most flexibility and is the route to use if you are installing to a portable device.
Msi Installation for new users and to upgrade previous msi installs
Just download the latest msi file and run it.
Msi installation to upgrade previous zip installs
With a msi installation, the executable and configuration files will live in different locations, so there are some extra steps that you need to go through if you wish to keep your existing configuration:
- In your existing version of DMT, make sure "Start when Windows starts" (found in Options->Dual Monitor Tools->General) is not ticked.
- Make sure DMT is not currently running.
- Make sure you have a backup copy of the following configuration files: DmtMagicWords.xml, DmtSettings.xml and DmtWallpaperProviders.xml. These would normally be in the same directory that you previously installed Dual Monitor Tools too.
- Download and run the new msi installer.
- Double click on DMT in the notification area.
- Select the 'General' page under 'Dual Monitor Tools'. This will show the location where the configuration files now live. The files will be in the '%appdata%\Dual Monitor Tools' folder, which should be something like: 'C:\Users\<your login name>\AppData\Roaming\Dual Monitor Tools'
- Stop DMT.
- Copy the 3 xml files into the above location.
- Start DMT. There should be an option in the Start menu to do this.
- Don't forget to tick the "Start when Windows starts" option if required.
- Download the zip file.
- If you are already running the files from a previous version, then stop them.
- Unzip the zip file to your desired location.
- The tools are now ready to run. You may need to give Windows permission to run the files as they were downloaded from the internet.
If when you run any of the tools, you get a message along the lines of The dynamic link library mscoree.dll could not be found... then this probably means you do not have .NET 4.0 installed.
See the tool specific pages to see how to use each tool.
Uninstall of msi installation
You can uninstall from within Windows installed application list. Any saved settings will need to be removed manually by deleting the folder '%APPDATA%\Dual Monitor Tools'.
Uninstall of portable installation
If you have set the 'Start when Windows starts' in the options, then you will need to turn this off before removing anything.
Then make sure none of the tools are running, and you can just delete the tools and their data files.